Apple Macs make great Linux machines. You can install it on any Mac with an Intel processor and if you stick to one of the bigger versions, you’ll have little trouble with the installation process. Get this: you can even install Ubuntu Linux on a PowerPC Mac (the old type using G5 processors).
Can you run Linux on a MacBook Air?
You cannot just install Linux to the MacBook Air, you with have to also dual-boot OS X, or as I would suggest, triple-boot OS X, Linux, and Windows. First, boot-camp Windows onto the MacBook by following the boot camp instructions on your Mac.
How do I install Ubuntu on an old MacBook Air?
Prepare your USB key to run Ubuntu Linux
- Go to the Etcher website.
- Download Etcher for macOS.
- Install Etcher by double clicking the . dmg file you downloaded.
- Launch Etcher.
- Select the ubuntu install file known as an Image.
- Choose the USB drive you prepared with Select Drive.
- Click Flash to start the process.
Can you install Ubuntu on a MacBook?
Create a Live Bootable USB Ubuntu Installer for macOS
The first task in installing and configuring Ubuntu on your Mac is to create a live bootable USB flash drive that contains the Ubuntu Desktop OS. Use this flash drive to not only install Ubuntu but also to confirm that Ubuntu can run on your Mac.
How do I install Linux on my MacBook air?
How to Install Linux on a Mac
- Switch off your Mac computer.
- Plug the bootable Linux USB drive into your Mac.
- Turn on your Mac while holding down the Option key. …
- Select your USB stick and hit enter. …
- Then select Install from the GRUB menu. …
- Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
Should I install Linux on my MacBook?
Mac OS X is a great operating system, so if you bought a Mac, stay with it. … If you really need to have a Linux OS alongside OS X and you know what you’re doing, install it, otherwise get a different, cheaper computer for all your Linux needs.
How do I install Linux Mint on my MacBook air?
The main steps to install Linux Mint on your PC or Mac are as follows:
- Prepare an installer. …
- Next, boot from the media (USB drive or optical disc) you just created. …
- Finally, run the installer once the USB drive boots, and you arrive on a live Mint desktop (but feel free to have a look around first).
How do I dual-boot my MacBook air?
To do this, head to the Startup Disk preference setting in Settings. Every time the Mac starts, you can also toggle between OS X and Windows by holding down the Option (Alt) key immediately upon startup.
How do I install Ubuntu on an old MacBook?
I hope you understand.
- Insert your USB stick in your Mac.
- Restart your Mac and hold down the Option Key while it reboots.
- When you arrive at the Boot Selection screen, choose “EFI Boot” to select your bootable USB Stick.
- Select Install Ubuntu from the Grub boot screen.
- Select Your Language and click Continue.
Can you dual-boot a Mac?
It’s possible to install two different operating systems and dual-boot your Mac. This means you’ll have both versions of macOS available and you can choose the one that suits you on a day-by-day basis.
Can I install Linux on a MacBook Pro?
Yes, there is an option to run Linux temporarily on a Mac through the virtual box but if you’re looking for a permanent solution, you might want to completely replace the present operating system with a Linux distro. To install Linux on a Mac, you’ll need a formatted USB drive with storage up to 8GB.
Can you run Windows on a Mac?
With Boot Camp, you can install and use Windows on your Intel-based Mac. Boot Camp Assistant helps you set up a Windows partition on your Mac computer’s hard disk and then start the installation of your Windows software.
Can you boot Linux on a Mac?
If you just want to try Linux on your Mac, you can boot from a live CD or USB drive. Insert the live Linux media, restart your Mac, press and hold the Option key, and select the Linux media on the Startup Manager screen.
Can we install Linux on Mac M1?
This isn’t the first time we’ve heard of organisations working to run Linux on Apple’s new hardware — earlier this year, we reported that researchers at security firm Corellium announced that they had managed to boot and run Ubuntu Linux on an M1 Mac.
Is Linux free to use?
Linux is a free, open source operating system, released under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Anyone can run, study, modify, and redistribute the source code, or even sell copies of their modified code, as long as they do so under the same license.