With just one Linux Mint partition, the root partition /, the only way of making sure you will not lose your data when re-installing from scratch is by backing up all your data first and restoring them once the installation has finished successfully.
How do I reinstall Linux without losing data?
AFTER you have made a backup, do a fresh install.
- Install the system to /dev/sda1 , with mountpoint / as shown on your screenshot.
- Select mountpoint /home for /dev/sda5 and DO format the drive.
- After the install is finished, copy back your files from your backup to your new home.
How do you do a clean install of Linux Mint?
For this reason, please save your data on an external USB disk so that you can copy it back after installing Mint.
- Step 1: Download Linux Mint ISO. Go to Linux Mint website and download Linux Mint in ISO format. …
- Step 2: Create a live USB of Linux Mint. …
- Step 3: Boot from the live Linux Mint USB. …
- Step 4: Install Linux Mint.
How do I repair Linux Mint installation?
Boot Repair on Linux Mint Installation
Fire up a terminal. At first, set the Boot Repair repo. Update the APT cache. Now, install Boot Repair.
How do I completely reinstall Linux?
How to reinstall Ubuntu Linux
- Step 1: Create a live USB. First, download Ubuntu from its website. You can download whichever Ubuntu version you want to use. Download Ubuntu. …
- Step 2: Reinstall Ubuntu. Once you have got the live USB of Ubuntu, plugin the USB. Reboot your system.
How do I reinstall Ubuntu and keep data?
Reinstall Ubuntu, but keep personal data
Step 1) First step is to create an Ubuntu Live DVD or USB drive, which will reinstall Ubuntu. Head over to our detailed guide and return with an Ubuntu Live DVD/USB drive. Step 2) Boot your computer into the Ubuntu Live disk. Step 3) Select “Install Ubuntu”.
How do I reinstall Ubuntu without deleting files?
How Do i Reinstall Ubuntu 18.04 Without Losing Data
- Boot your Ubuntu using a bootable USB.
- Make sure to backup your data.
- Make an attempt to reinstall Ubuntu.
- If not successful then delete all directories.
- Provide previous name and password if asked.
- Reboot your Ubuntu.
- Reinstall and restore back your backup data.
Which is faster Ubuntu or Mint?
Mint may seem a little quicker in use day-to-day, but on older hardware, it will definitely feel faster, whereas Ubuntu appears to run slower the older the machine gets. Mint gets faster still when running MATE, as does Ubuntu.
How long does Linux Mint take to install?
One of my netbooks needed refreshing, and I decided to dump Windows completely and install only Linux Mint. The entire process took 10 minutes.
What is Linux Mint compatibility mode?
Compatibility mode blacklists a wifi driver b43 because of some freezing problems, disables fast graphics mode switching, disables the advanced configuration and power interface and doesn’t load the splash screen. That’s about it. Thanks.
How do I restore GRUB in Linux Mint?
This can easily be done by logging into your Linux Mint, opening a Terminal then copying and pasting sudo update-grub then press Enter then enter your password then hit Enter again. You will then see it detecting all the bootable partitons on the Hard drive.
How do I reinstall grub on mint?
When you’re in, follow the steps below to reinstall grub 2:
- Open Gparted Partition Editor from Unity Dash to check out which partition your Ubuntu/Linux Mint system installed. …
- Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. …
- Now reinstall Grub2 via command below: grub-install –root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda.
How do I install Linux Mint without CD or USB?
Install Mint with no cd/usb
- Step 1 – Editing partitions. First, some background on partitions. A Hard disk may be split into partitions. …
- Step 2 – Installing the system. Reboot into Windows. Unetbootin may prompt you to remove the installation. …
- Step 3 – Removing Windows. Reboot to Windows.
Will reinstalling ubuntu delete my files?
Installing Ubuntu fresh will not affect a user’s personal data and files unless he instructs the installation process to format a drive or partition. The wording in the steps that will do this is Erase disk and install Ubuntu , and Format Partition .
Can you run Linux Mint from a USB?
You have successfully installed Linux Mint on a USB drive. You can now insert it and use it on any computer by selecting the USB drive from the boot options. Your Linux Mint USB drive is now a completely working and updatable!
How do I reinstall APT package?
You can reinstall a package with sudo apt-get install –reinstall packagename . This completely removes the package (but not the packages that depend on it), then reinstalls the package. This can be convenient when the package has many reverse dependencies.