simply boot off of an Ubuntu USB or LiveCD. during the installation choose the first option that says to use the entire disk and it will wipe your drive and in the process get rid of windows. Ubuntu and Fedora are operating systems based on the Linux kernel.
How do I completely remove Windows and install Ubuntu?
If you want to remove Windows and replace it with Ubuntu, choose Erase disk and install Ubuntu. All of the files on the disk will be deleted before Ubuntu is put on it, so make sure you have backup copies of anything you wanted to keep. For more complicated disk layouts, choose Something Else.
How can I replace Windows XP with Ubuntu?
Your easiest way will be this:
- First In Windows XP, give the XP partition a label or name. …
- Boot to the Ubuntu using Live CD or USB.
- Open a terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-T.
- Type sudo blkid and press Enter.
- See an entry with this kind of text LABEL=XP . …
- Now Click on the Install Ubuntu icon on the Desktop.
Can I replace Windows XP with Linux?
If there is enough room on your hard drive, you can install Linux alongside XP and choose the one you want to run at boot. If your XP computer is powerful enough and you have your original installation media, you can run XP inside a virtual machine on Linux. Yes, you can have it all.
How do I wipe my computer and install Ubuntu?
This Part 3 covers that wiping and installation process.
- Step 1: Back up your data from your PC and keep a note of your Windows 10 activation key. …
- Step 2: Make a bootable DVD or USB drive for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. …
- Step 2a: Make a bootable USB flash drive with Ubuntu 18.04 ISO image.
When should I remove USB when installing Ubuntu?
After the install is complete, shut down the machine. Remove the USB device then power up the machine. It is because your machine is set to boot from usb first and hard drive in 2nd or 3rd place.
Which is faster Ubuntu or Mint?
Mint may seem a little quicker in use day-to-day, but on older hardware, it will definitely feel faster, whereas Ubuntu appears to run slower the older the machine gets. Mint gets faster still when running MATE, as does Ubuntu.
What is the best Linux to replace Windows XP?
Enough talk, let’s take a look at 4 best Linux alternative to Windows XP.
- Linux Mint MATE Edition. Linux Mint is known for its simplicity, hardware compatibility and pre-installed software. …
- Linux Mint Xfce Edition. …
- Lubuntu. …
- Zorin OS. …
- Linux Lite.
Can you install Ubuntu on Windows XP?
To your XP desktop. download RUFUS, to your XP desktop download Ubuntu 16.04 LTS it will be an ISO file. Find an empty 4 gig USB drive, Start RUFUS and write the Ubuntu ISO to the USB drive. back up critical data on your PC becuse the HDD will be cleared and over written.
How do I install Ubuntu If Windows XP is already installed?
How to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux
- Ubuntu Linux Download.
- Burn Ubuntu Linux ISO image.
- Bios Settings to boot from CD-ROM.
- Remove existing partitions.
- Create a new partition.
- Manual disk preparation.
- Define a mount point for NTFS partition.
- Set mount point path.
What operating system can replace Windows XP?
Five operating system alternatives to Windows 8 and XP
- Windows 7.
- Chrome OS. …
- The Linux Desktop. …
- Mac. …
- Android Tablet/Apple iPad. You really can use a tablet for some work purposes, but it works far better if you’re primarily an information consumer rather than an information producer. …
What should I replace Windows XP with?
Windows 7: If you’re still using Windows XP, there’s a good chance you won’t want to go through the shock of upgrading to Windows 8. Windows 7 isn’t the latest, but it’s the most widely used version of Windows and will be supported until January 14, 2020.
How do I install Linux on an old Windows XP computer?
Once you find it, set the boot order so that instead of booting from the hard drive first, you boot from either the CD/DVD drive or from a USB drive. That done, insert your DVD or USB stick and reboot. Then, select Start Linux Mint from the first menu you see. Your machine should soon be running Linux.
Does Ubuntu run faster than Windows?
Then you can compare Ubuntu’s performance with Windows 10’s performance overall and on a per application basis. Ubuntu runs faster than Windows on every computer that I have ever tested. LibreOffice (Ubuntu’s default office suite) runs much faster than Microsoft Office on every computer that I have ever tested.
What are the disadvantages of Ubuntu?
Disadvantages of Ubuntu
- Ubuntu is very conventional to new technologies. …
- It is very perceptive to faults in hardware which makes it less steady as compared to other operating systems.
- There is a little hardware support for Ubuntu OS. …
- It is not possible to play the modern games in Ubuntu OS.
Can I replace Windows 10 with Ubuntu?
So, while Ubuntu may have not been a proper replacement for Windows in the past, you can easily use Ubuntu as a replacement now. … All in all, Ubuntu can replace Windows 10, and very well. You may even find out that it’s better in many ways.