update-alternatives creates, removes, maintains and displays information about the symbolic links comprising the Debian alternatives system. It is possible for several programs fulfilling the same or similar functions to be installed on a single system at the same time.
How do I get rid of Ubuntu update alternatives?
- Remove the link from /etc/alternatives.
- Remove the relevant file from the admin directory. /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/ on ubuntu (debian may be the same but check the man pages under the FILES section) /var/lib/alternatives/ on CentOS 6&7.
What is Update alternatives — Install?
When each package providing a file with a particular functionality is installed, changed or removed, alternatives is called to update information about that file in the alternatives system. alternatives is usually called from the %post or %pre scripts in RPM packages.
How do I get rid of update alternatives?
1 Answer. Do sudo update-alternatives –remove-all gccc .
How do I update my alternatives?
Assuming one has installed a JDK in /opt/java/jdk1.8.0_144 then:
- Install the alternative for javac $ sudo update-alternatives –install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/java/jdk1.8.0_144/bin/javac 1.
- Check / update the alternatives config: $ sudo update-alternatives –config javac.
How do I install alternatives to Ubuntu?
How To Install And Switch Between Alternative Java Versions
- Check whether your Ubuntu is 32-bit or 64-bit file /sbin/init.
- Use the following command to extract the downloaded file sudo tar -xvf <your file name>.tar.gz.
- Step 5. Open /etc/profile file. …
- Now reload the environment . / etc/profile.
What is ETC alternatives?
/etc/alternatives is a directory that is used in keeping track of the alternatives currently in use, by a tool called update-alternatives .
What is Update-alternatives command?
update-alternatives creates, removes, maintains and displays information about the symbolic links comprising the Debian alternatives system. It is possible for several programs fulfilling the same or similar functions to be installed on a single sys‐ tem at the same time.
What is Sudo update-alternatives?
When each package providing a file with a particular functionality is installed, changed or removed, update-alternatives is called to update information about that file in the alternatives system. update-alternatives is usually called from the postinst (configure) or prerm (install) scripts in Debian packages.
What is priority in Update-alternatives?
1 Answer. From man update-alternatives : Each alternative has a priority associated with it. When a link group is in automatic mode, the alternatives pointed to by members of the group will be those which have the highest priority.
How do I update Python alternatives?
Install Python 3.7
- Install the python3.7 package using apt-get. sudo apt-get install python3.7.
- Add python3.6 & python3.7 to update-alternatives. sudo update-alternatives –install /usr/bin/python3 python3 /usr/bin/python3.6 1. …
- Update python3 to point to python3.7. …
- Test the version of python.
How do I change the default GCC in Ubuntu?
Type update-alternatives –config gcc to be asked to choose the gcc version you want to use among those installed. (Note the use of cpp-bin instead of just cpp . Ubuntu already has a cpp alternative with a master link of /lib/cpp . Renaming that link would remove the /lib/cpp link, which could break scripts.)
How do I change Python alternatives?
Set Python version with update-alternatives
- Configure Bash shell to use ~/.local/bin instead of system-wide /usr as follows: mkdir ~/.local/bin.
- Add to ~/.bashrc. export PATH=”$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH”
- Enable switching Python default between Python 3 and 2.7 with these one-time commands:
What is an alternative to Java?
C, Abstract, Go, Python, and Scala are the most popular alternatives and competitors to Java.
What is update Java alternatives?
update-java-alternatives is a program to update alternatives for jre/jdk installations. update-alternatives is a symbolic link management system for linux (I’m sure there is little news here). You can, and really should, use both update-java-alternatives and update-alternatives together.